Governmental Information Research Guide
Visit our "essential government information page" (FDLP Basic Collection) which includes links to Census, statistics, laws, courts, and other vital sources.
(Also see the Library/LRC's Criminal Justice Subject Guide for information on the Court System and law enforcement agencies.)
U.S. Federal Government
Need Government Information but don't know where to go?
- USA.gov: The U.S. government's official web portal is an easy-to-search, free-access website designed to give you a centralized place to find information from U.S. local, state, and federal government agency websites. Search by keyword or browse topics. Links to data and statistics, laws and regulations, forms, photos, info on government officials, and much more.
- Government Information Online (GIO): Ask a Librarian: Get information from a specialist in Government Information.
- FdSys (Federal Digital System): US Government Printing Office, provides online access to the official publications from the Federal Government, such as federal statutes, congressional records, congressional hearings and documents, the federal register and presidential documents.
- MetaLib: Search multiple Government resources all at once.
The President of the United States:
Find your Representative(s) in Congress
Political Candidate Information from Project Vote Smart
A Directory of Federal Government Web sites: Louisiana State University Libraries' US Federal Government Agencies Directory
- Library of Congress: The world's largest library's online resources.
- Federal Budget: From the Office of Management and Budget.
- US Census Bureau: Contains loads of demographic, statistical and economic information.
- Statistical Abstracts: The source for statistical information in the US.
- World Factbook: Created by the CIA, this resource has long been the most up-to-date and detailed source for information on every country in the world.
- Country Fact Sheets: Detailed information about the countries of the world from the U.S. Department of State.
- Consumer Information: The Federal Consumer Information Center out of Pueblo, Colorado, publishes government guides and materials on hundreds of topics.
- Tax Forms and Publications Internal Revenue Service
Illinois State Government
- State of Illinois home page: Find state links, popular services and information, and latest state news.
- Illinois Blue Book: Everything Illinois government all in one place.
- Find your State senator or State representative: Search for your districts or officials
- Tax Forms and Publications: Illinois Department of Revenue