Depression and Anxiety Research Guide
Anxiety: is an emotion characterized by feelings of tension, worried thoughts and physical changes like increased blood pressure. People with anxiety disorders usually have recurring intrusive thoughts or concerns. They may avoid certain situations out of worry. They may also have physical symptoms such as sweating, trembling, dizziness or a rapid heartbeat. Adapted from the Encyclopedia of Psychology.
Depression: is more than just sadness. People with depression may experience a lack of interest and pleasure in daily activities, significant weight loss or gain, insomnia or excessive sleeping, lack of energy, inability to concentrate, feelings of worthlessness or excessive guilt and recurrent thoughts of death or suicide. Depression is the most common mental disorder. Fortunately, depression is treatable. A combination of therapy and antidepressant medication can help ensure recovery. Adapted from the Encyclopedia of Psychology.
- Moraine Valley Counseling Call: 708-974-5722
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255
- Hopeline: 800-784-2433 (800-SUICIDE) 24/7 crisis intervention for suicide, depression and general concerns
- Depression Line: 630-482-9696 24/7 crisis intervention for depression
Resources for Students
- ABC of anxiety and depression
- ABC of mental health (ebook)
- Almost anxious : is my (or my loved one's) worry or distress a problem? (ebook)
- Almost depressed : is my (or my loved one's) unhappiness a problem? (ebook)
- Anxiety: Biography of thge Disease(ebook)
- Anxiety 101 (ebook)
- The anxiety & phobia workbook (ebook)
- The anxiety answer book (ebook)
- College student mental health counseling : a developmental approach (ebook)
- DSM-5 in action (ebook)
- Mental health issues and the university student (ebook)
- Mind-body workbook for anxiety: effective tools for overcoming panic, fear, & worry (ebook)
- The self-esteem workbook (ebook)
- Stress management and prevention: applications to everyday life (ebook)
- Feeling low : a kid's guide to understanding depression (book)
- Calm, clever & carefree! : a kid's guide to understanding anxiety
- Anxiety + depression : effective treatment of the big two co-occurring disorders (book)
- The mindfulness toolbox : 50 practical mindfulness tips, tools, and handouts for anxiety, depression, stress and pain (book)
- Ten minutes to deep meditation : techniques that reduce stress and relieve anger, anxiety & depression (book)
Librarians will place books in our collection on hold for you. Call 708-974-5234 or email email@example.com.
- My depression : a picture book (book)
- The noonday demon : an atlas of depression (book)
- Everything I never told you (book)
- The novel cure : from abandoment to zestlessness (list of novels to help deal with life's challenges) (book)
- Take charge of your emotions : seven steps to overcoming depression, anxiety, and anger (book)
- But you look just fine : unmasking depression, anxiety, post-traumatic stress disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, panic disorder, and seasonal affective disorder (book)
- Calling Dr. Laura : a graphic memoir (book)
- Marbles : mania, depression, Michelangelo, & me : a graphic memoir (graphic novel)
- Mind monsters (fighting negative thoughts) (book)
- The dialectical behavior therapy skills workbook for anxiety : breaking free from worry, panic, PTSD & other anxiety symptoms (book)
- My trip into the world of panic : a personal story about anxiety disorder (book)
- The wisdom of insecurity : a message for an age of anxiety (book)
- Check mates : a collection of fiction, poetry and artwork about OCD by people with OCD (book)
- Rae (novel about social phobia) (book)
- The 10 best-ever depression management techniques : understanding how your brain makes you depressed & what you can do to change it (book)
- Shoot the damn dog : a memoir of depression (book)
- The 10 best-ever anxiety management techniques : understanding how your brain makes you anxious & what you can do to change it (book)
- Darkness visible : a memoir of madness (personal story by William Styron) (book)
- Yoga for depression and anxiety : with Ira Israel
- Teenage anxiety, depression, and suicide
- Fears & phobias : understanding them, defeating them
- Men get depression
- Anxiety & Depression Association of America Anxiety & Depression Association of America (College Students) The Anxiety and Depression Association of America (ADAA) is a national 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. Our mission is to promote the prevention, treatment, and cure of anxiety, depression, OCD, PTSD, and related disorders and to improve the lives of all those who suffer from them through education, practice, and research.
- Active Minds Active Minds is a non-profit organization that focuses on student advocacy in the mental health movement.
- Freedom from Fear Freedom From Fear is a national not-for-profit mental health advocacy association. The mission of Freedom from Fear is to impact, in a positive way, the lives of all those affected by anxiety, depressive and related disorders through advocacy, education, research and community support.
- Jed Foundation The Jed Foundation's mission is to promote emotional health and prevent suicide among college and university students. To achieve this end, the organization collaborates with the public and leaders in higher education, mental health, and research to produce and advance initiatives.
- Half of Us Half of Us aims to initiate a public dialogue to raise awareness about the prevalence of mental health issues and connect students to the appropriate resources to get help.
- Reach Out Reach Out is run by the Inspire USA Foundation, a non-profit organization. Their mission is to help youth strengthen mental wellness through technology-driven resources and peer support.
- Helpguide Helpguide was established in 1999 because the founders believed that everyone facing mental and emotional health challenges deserve to have access to free, unbiased information without being pressured by special interests or corporate sponsors. Helpguide provides support for tens of millions of people and their families each year, helping them understand and resolve their health issues. Helpguide (Anxiety) Helpguide (Depression)
- Depression and Bipolar Alliance The Depression and Bipolar Alliance (DBSA) provides hope, help, support , and education to improve the lives of people who have mood disorders.
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (AFSP) is the leader in the fight against suicide. They fund research, create educational programs, advocate for public policy, and support survivors of suicide loss.
Local & State Associations/Organizations
- National Alliance of Mental Health-IL (NAMI-Illinois)
- Metropolitan Family Services Palos Hills: 708-974-5108 Chicago: 773-884-3310 Blue Island: 708-974-5100
- Bremen Township Youth Services (Oak Forest)
- Catholic Charities, Southwest Suburban (Holbrook Center for Counseling) 708-460-0428 312-655-7700 (Intake)
- Chicago Christian Counseling Orland Park, Tinley Park, Frankfort, South Holland: 800-361-6880
- Center for Psychological Services Oak Lawn: 708-424-0001
- The Family Institute of Northwestern University Lagrange: 708-482-8812
- Genesis Therapy Center Oak Lawn: 708-425-0310 Tinley Park: 708-444-7395
- Governors State University, Counseling Lab University Park: 708-534-4545
- Grand Prairie Services Will, Grundy, Kankakee & Livingston: 708-331-050
- Mosque Foundation Offering marriage, youth, family, and grief counseling Bridgeview: 708-598-6307
- Orland Township Youth Services Orland Park: 708-403-4001 x224