Faculty Online Support Services
The MVCC Library is opening on August 24!
The Library will open to limited entry with 15 visitors at a time. Guests will be allotted 1 hour each day and are asked to complete tasks quickly to allow other users to access the Library. All guests are asked to follow campus safety guidelines including wearing a mask and maintaining social distance. Please review the Library's Safety Guidelines.
We’ve updated our library hours to allow for additional cleaning time for campus staff. We will have in person and online hours for Fall 2020.
Hours of operation, on campus:
- Monday – Thursday: 8am-8pm
- Friday: 8am-4pm
- Saturday: 9am - 3pm
- Sunday: Noon-4pm
Hours of operation, online:
- Monday – Thursday: 7:30am-10pm
- Friday: 7:30 am-5pm
- Saturday: 9am - 3pm
- Sunday: Noon-4pm
Help? Ask a Librarian
- Need help with research or to find information? Librarians are available online and in the library 7 days/week Contact us on the Library Ask A Librarian Page.
- Starting August 24, students can set up individual research sessions with librarians with this online form.
- If you have any additional questions, check out our Student FAQ page.
- The Library’s social media accounts share resources, news, and tips. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube.
Schedule Class Sessions with a Librarian & Customized Guides/Videos
Librarians can provide online information literacy and library instruction to support your research projects or other information literacy related assignments. We can customize guides and tutorials, create Canvas modules, host discussion boards, or meet synchronously with your class. Use this instruction request formto let us know what you need or contact Tish Hayes at hayesL45@morainevalley.edu. Visit our research guides & videos page for additional resources.
With the loss of our reserve textbooks this semester, you may consider swapping out traditional textbooks for more affordable options. Freely accessible library resources and digital textbooks with open licensing can substitute for costly textbooks. There are many options for ready made textbooks, many with ancillary materials available. Contact Dan Matthews, email@example.com, to get started.
Films for Classes
If you need a film for your class, please let us know. We can get most films through our streaming services. Contact Joe Mullarkey to make a request at firstname.lastname@example.org. To see our current streaming holdings visit:
Resources: Articles, Books, Video, and More
“Holding” Books & DVDs for pick up: Students, staff, and faculty can place items on hold and pick them up at the circulation desk in our library.
- Search the library catalog and then click on the “request it” button. We will grab the item from our shelves and have it ready for pick up.
Finding Articles: Access online articles from ourdatabase page.
- Academic Search Complete: Our largest database covering academic, news, and other information.
- News Databases: Major news sources such as the Chicago Tribune, Wall Street Journal, and the New York Times.
- We have specialized databases on many topics including history, psychology, business, sociology, education, criminal justice and more.
E-books and Streaming Video: Students can get access to e-books, audio books, and streaming video.
- University Press Ebooks: 30,000 ebooks on many research topics.
- Ebsco E-Audio Books offers e-audio books through our Ebsco Database. This content will be a bit more scholarly in nature.
- EBSCO E-Books: A collection of e-books on a range of subjects.
- Hoopla has ebooks, audiobooks, graphic novels, and streaming video. This is a good source for leisure content.
- Kanopy is a streaming video service for documentaries and thoughtful TV and Film.
- See all of our E-Book services on our database page.
Curbside pick up: Students, faculty, and staff can request items from the library collection. For more information, visit this guide.
- Students, faculty, and staff have the option to pick up their items curbside by requesting the curbside pick up option in libcal after receiving email confirmation their holds are ready to be picked up.
- Students/Staff will be contacted by a library staff member after making a request.
- Students & staff will be asked to verify their identity by either presenting their student id or driver’s license/state ID at time of pick up.
Guides & Videos on Searching & Databases
If you are stuck, check out our guides and videos! We provide guides and videos to searching specific databases such as Academic Search Complete, PscycArticles, CQ, and more. We also provide guides and videos on searching.