Student Online Support Services
Library online services remain open!
- Librarians are answering questions via chat, email and text during hours of operation.
- Librarians are ready to work with students in online courses!
- The online library is open 24/7 with 1000s of ebooks, articles, and online video.
- The Library’s social media accounts will be sharing resources. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube.
- Visit this special Instructional Resource Guide for videos & guides about using our library.
Students have remote access to a wide variety of online resources through the library like databases, e-books, e-audio books, and video streaming services.
Databases: Students looking for scholarly, peer reviewed, newspaper, magazine and other sources for their research can use our variety of databases on our Research Tools Page. Our databases are organized by subject area on the left side of this page. For general research check out:
- E-books and Streaming: Students can get access to e-books, audio books, and streaming video for their research and things to pass the time while social distancing. To use these services, students will need to log in with their MVCC username and password or create an account specific to the platform.
- Axis 360 provides access to e-books and e-audio books. It has a lot of current book titles and lots of leisure reading available.
- Ebsco E-Audio Books offers e-audio books through our Ebsco Database. This content will be a bit more scholarly in nature.
- Hoopla has ebooks, audiobooks, graphic novels, and streaming video. This is a good source for leisure content.
- Kanopy is a streaming video service for documentaries and thoughtful TV and Film.
Getting assistance with Research Projects and other assignments
- Librarians are still available to students remotely for research help with online courses. Help with finding resources, creating citations, and other assignment help is available through the MVCC Library Ask A Librarian Page.
- Librarians have also created and some resources for self-guided instruction on Library Research Resources
- Students wanting to have extended conversations with librarians are encouraged to set up a consultation via WebX on our help page.
If you have any additional questions, check out our Student FAQ page.
Guides to Databases
- Getting to the Research Tools Page
- Academic Search Complete (research guide)
- Searching a Database: SIRS
- Searching a Database: Valueline
- Searching a Database: PsycArticles
- Searching a Database: JSTOR
- Searching a Database: CINAHL (nursing)
Videos for Searching
- Searching the Catalog for Digital Content (video)
- Google searching part 1: Evidence of Algorithms(video)
- Google searching part 2: Advanced Search (video)
- Google searching part 3: Advanced Search the Sequel (video)
Additional Guides & Sources
- Reading Research Articles 1 (parts of the article) (video)
- Reading Research Articles 2 (reading strategies using article outline) (video)
- Anatomy Model Substitutes
- Science Lab Simulations and Online Resources
- Resources for Online Instruction and Communication
- COVID-19 research guide
- Visit our full list of research guides
Checked out general collection materials extended
Items checked out to students, staff, and faculty will automatically have their due dates extended to August 31 for MVCC general collection items (not electronics) and July 1 for items borrowed from other libraries (ILL), with further extensions possible due to extended closure. For questions about your library account, contact Oscar Arellano: Arellanoo3@morainevalley.edu